My half marathon in Las Vegas went better than imagined (despite the cold weather). Over 27,000 people ran either the full or half marathon and I managed to finish the 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 4 minutes (and 24 seconds). Amazingly, the time I clocked on my watch was the exact official time. As I ran by the mile markers, I kept thinking that I must have pushed the start button on the watch way too late - there was NO WAY I could be that "fast". But, I was. And it was an amazing feeling crossing the finish line more than 10 minutes faster than I had hoped. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have Damon and Drew there to celebrate with me right away. Next time (I have to break the 2 hour mark, right?)!
This past Friday was my 36th birthday and Damon, Drew & I were more than happy to share some birthday brownies with Hannah as we finished up our Home Study at our house! Drew was totally awesome during the three hour visit...he played independently, was respectful and polite, and eagerly offered to take Hannah on a tour of the house - complete with "Follow Me!" Not many days go by that I am not proud of him. But, on my 36th birthday I was especially proud of our little Drew-man!!
We completed and passed the Home Study interview process! Damon and I thought this round of questioning was much "easier" to answer...who knows why. Maybe because even though a lot of the questions were about some heavy topics like potential attachment issues, how and when our child will feel and express grief and loss, and racism...we know we are gaining confidence in these areas through the books we've been reading and being able to connect with others that can share their experiences. And, as it should be when expanding a family, we are full of excitement, hope, pride, and joy. With all those feelings, it is easy to talk about the future and and how as parents we will do whatever it takes to always be the number one supporter of our children.
So, now we wait for the official report to be written for the USCIS. Hannah expects she will have it competed for our review within three or four weeks. By the New Year would be a great Christmas present. Our fingers are crossed. We also have some USCIS paperwork to work on in the meantime to help make us feel a little more "in control" of the process.
To further prepare for our expanding family, Damon has been going above and beyond to find the perfect family vehicle for us. Researching...test driving...compromising...wheeling-n-dealing...he's been incredible (driving me crazy at times, but always incredible). And, on Saturday we picked up our totally awesome new GMC Acadia! It is really beyond amazing and I look forward to daily trips to the grocery store, school, sports practices and a slew of great family road trips in it ~ and especially so when we are finally a family of four.
Until next time...stay warm and enjoy the spirit of the holiday season!
1 comment:
Congrats on passing the home study -- not that there was any doubt! I've got my fingers crossed for a New Years present for the Krekelbergs. The milestones are sure to go quickly now!!
Post a Comment