Sunday, April 18, 2010

HERE

Yesterday we attended a book release event for HERE: A Visual History of Koreans Adopted in Minnesota. Believe it or not, but Minnesota has one of the highest number of adopted Koreans, per capita, in the world. As one of the collaborators likes to say "Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes and Korean adoptees." This book celebrates the thousands of Koreans who have immigrated to Minnesota through adoption by sharing stories - both visual and written. We definitely picked up a book and had it signed by the collaborators - my favorite being "dear leo, may you continue your journey in MN with your new family. love, Heewon".

The event included a Korean drumming performance by Shinparam, a speaking and signing reception, and delicious food catered by King’s. It was a great opportunity for us to embrace the Korean culture and better understand how Leo might feel fitting into our community. Valuable information indeed for us. And, eventually a life-link for Leo to know that he is by far not alone.

I would like to thank my neighbor, Kelly, for passing along the info about (& encouraging us to attend) this event - her co-worker is one of the brainchildren and photographer of the book. It was a pleasure to meet Kim and we are so glad we attended!

Whether Minnesotan or not, I highly recommend the book. It is available to order at Yeong & Yeong Books:
http://www.yeongandyeong.com/here_visual_history.php

Traditional Korean Drums

The four wonderful women responsible for the book

Drew digging into his kimchi

The event

Waiting to get the book signed



3 comments:

Kris said...

Wow, what a fantastic event to attend! I'll have to get that book. Thanks!

jlideen said...

This looks so cool! I just LOVE your blog... we live just far enough apart to keep our visits far and few between :( (and Dan's schedule doesn't help). So this blog is awesome! Love to keep up with your family :)

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh, that event looks awesome! I'm a little jealous of your state's KA count... I wish we had some more local connections ourselves.