Thursday, June 3, 2010

small

It has been three weeks since Travel Orientation when we requested an update on Leo.  From what we can tell, Leo heads to the agency with his foster mom around the 5th of each month for his check-ups.  My gut tells me that Leo will finally get to get his hands on the goodies we sent to him in the care package in the next couple days…as he turns 10 months old.  And, of course I am hoping that those goodies provide an opportunity for a great photo shoot and also leave the agency with no reason but to send us an immediate update on our son.  We would really like an update.  Though, in a way we kinda got one recently...

Damon and I were shopping in Holland over the long weekend.  While we were browsing at one of the many great stores on 8th Street, there was a couple at the cash register making a purchase.  The couple was pushing an umbrella stroller with a little dude in it.  The worker asked how old the boy was.  The couple responded, “just turned ten months.”  I quickly turned around and just stared at the little guy.  He was playing with his toes.  He was happy.  For a moment I felt like I was being given a glimpse of my son through the life and actions of someone else’s.  It gave me comfort and hope.  And, then I heard Damon comment “he’s still small!”  I am not 100% sure, but I am fairly confident that Damon’s comment was all about Leo and not the little boy in the stroller.  It’s so easy to get wrapped up in all that we are missing in Leo’s life…to feel like by the time he is in our arms he’s already going to be three feet tall, speaking in complete sentences, and dressing himself. He won’t be.  He will still be “small”.  He will have lots, and lots, and lots of growing and developing to do.  We will still see his innocence. We still get to nurture him.  We still get to love a beautiful small boy…who will turn into a big boy and a man…for the rest of our lives.  What a blessing!

Waiting is hard.  But, we went into this adoption knowing it was going to take a long time.  Since day one, our agency has delivered clear and realistic expected wait times – whether we liked them or not.  And, when those timelines changed, they have told us right away.  I am grateful for that.  I think that has really helped Damon and I (and in turn Drew) stay focused on the big picture and truly appreciate the gift we are been given.  The best things in life are indeed worth the wait.

Until next time…my fingers are crossed that next week brings a much desired update on Leo!

6 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

I sure hope you get your update soon!

I know this sounds odd, but when we first met Matthew he didn't seem small to me. Obviously he was much older than your Leo will be! But as we have bonded and connected, he seems smaller, younger, softer. More like a baby, or should I say MY baby.....I know that is weird but it has been a good thing.

Three Northern Stars said...

Hoping you get an update very soon. They make the wait so much easier.

Annette and Mike said...

Hope CHSFS get a big batch of updates soon. It would make this wait so much eaiser. Hope this next EP batch is big so we're closer to seeing our little ones in Korea.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh, i do hope you hear something soon!!!

I clearly remember how shocked Doug and I were when we saw how tiny Spencer was. Granted, he's a peanut in general... But such a baby still. I think lots of APs think/worry that they are picking up the equivalent of a 5 year old... And it's really not the case. They are still tiny babies, and they all seem to become even more so e first few months home as they adapt...

emily said...

i hope that update comes, asap!
i was so worried that when i first met rubin (when he was just days short of being 11 months old) that he was going to seem already all grown up to me. the FIRST thing i thought when i saw him for the first time was almost exactly what damon said... "he's still a baby!"

can't wait for you to have YOUR baby home where he belongs.

kelly said...

I love this post because these are things I think about too when I think about Max. Other APs have told me, don't worry, he'll still be a baby, you'll see. And I believe them intellectually but I think until you meet your child in the flesh you don't really know.

I really hope you get an update on sweet Leo very soon. Those updates mean the world and do wonders for your attitude during the wait!