Monday, September 6, 2010

Korea: Day Five - the last day as three

So we just wrapped up our last full day in Korea. Completely bittersweet.

Chapter 7: Playdate with Leo & lunch at the agency
We had our second meeting with Leo this morning at 10am (and, for the record, I hate the term 'meeting' to describe the the opportunities to see our son at the agency). We got to the agency a bit early due to an extremely fast taxi driver (he even made Damon nervous!). So, we decided to take a little walk before heading into the agency.
REALLY ready to go see his brother
Once at the agency we headed up to the second floor. The playroom we were in last week was occupied so we went in a room with three computers lined up against the wall, a table with a few toys on it, four chairs around the table, a bunch of framed pictures leaning against the wall, and a fish tank. There was a woman in there working on the computer - she barely acknowledged us while we waited for Leo, his foster mom and case worker to arrive. Once they got there, we signed some paperwork and without much conversation the case worker and foster mom left us to play with Leo. (The undisclosed worker remained and at one point when she left, another worker came in to use another computer). It was just weird.

Things started out really well with Leo. He played with some toys, paid close attention to all of us, and even laughed for us (we must be silly and fun - sweet!). What a wonderful sound that was to hear. Such a cute laugh and cute smile!!
"Can I play with these?"
That's my boys!!!
can't you just hear that laugh?!
Lookin' sharp...and who new all boys were supposed to wear stripes today
Have you seen my new bruise?! (I think we're in trouble with this one)
Father and Son
if you look real close, you can tell Drew's happy & proud of his little brother
It was a great visit...for the first 15 or 20 minutes...and then Leo realized his foster mom wasn't there. Big loud cries. Big huge tears. It was heartbreaking. We were able to comfort him and stop him from crying...and then it started again...and again. I think that was just a glimpse of what's in store for us over the next few days. It's just so bittersweet...we are so happy for Leo to be joining our family, yet he has to experience such sadness, grief and loss to do so. I just have to keep focusing on the Big Picture.

After our playdate, we had about half an hour to wait until we met with a director of the agency who told us about the history of Eastern and all the services they provide. While we waited, Damon and Drew left the room to find some water...and I looked out the window and happened to see Leo and his foster mom get into a car with Leo's foster dad and Leo's foster sibling. I didn't want to spy too much knowing she knew what room we were in - but I did notice that Leo immediately got a bottle. Hmm...maybe at least some of those tears and that fussing was because he was hungry. I can hope...

We met with the director with another couple from New York City. And, then headed upstairs to the fifth floor for lunch. We sat with the couple from NYC, a family of three from Ohio adopting a little boy, the grandparents of two Australian adoptees (ages 6 & 8) [kids, their parents, and grandparents were touring Korea for 16 days and going to each of their birth cities while in the country.] It was a delicious lunch and I really enjoyed talking with the family from Ohio.

We must have "NO TOUR, PLEASE" stamped to our foreheads because just like at 'Mo Sung Won' we did not get a tour of Eastern. We didn't get to see where the babies go to get their check-ups or the infamous red throne chairs that all the referral pictures are taken in or the nursery. Oh well, Drew really had had enough of the agency for one day by that point anyhow and it was time to get back to the hotel.

Chapter 8: One last stroll around the neighborhood - handouts accepted
Drew fell asleep in the taxi on the way to the hotel...but wouldn't fall back asleep once in the room. So, we decided to put him in the carrier for a little walk and see if he'd fall asleep. No such luck. Instead...a great story. We ended up at a nearby park and let Drew run around. Once again he captured the attention of the many older gentlemen hanging out there. Especially one man in particular. Every time Drew ran around, this man would do anything to get Drew's attention...practically begging Drew to come up a few steps to give him five. No luck. Until the man pulled out 1000 won ($1). Drew accepted the money, gave the guy five (still would not let him touch his hair - which is really what I think the guy wanted to do). I was able to get a picture of Drew with his money in front of the man, but could not convince Drew to sit next to him (maybe I should have offered him money?! duh!) Instead, Drew took the camera and took my picture with the guy....and then a picture of both me and Damon with the very kind man. The man talked to us a lot...of course, we had no idea what he was saying...but we tried hard to communicate with him. He was happy, and friendly, and totally epitomized our experience with the Korean people on this trip. And, it was a perfect way to wrap up our last full day in Korea.
look close...on the far left...Drew's racing!
Drew inspecting the 1000 won he just got from the man in the blue shirt
Nice picture Drew! Maybe a career in photography is in your future
Another great shot Drew
One of many new friends Drew made this trip
Chapter 9: The end...which is really the beginning.
The agency gave us a bunch of things today - diapers, wipes, a bag...and a small pack of tissues. On the package of tissues is this quote:
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us

I've cried at lot this evening. A lot. While I am still here in my son's birth country, it's hard for me to not look at the door that is closing for Leo and his foster mom. I keep putting myself in their shoes and I cannot even phantom never again seeing my family - never seeing the only people who have ever loved, protected and cared for me again. It would be just heart wrenching, and I am not sure how I would handle it.

I will be forever grateful for all the love and care that Leo's foster family provided. Through the bond that I've seen in two short visits between Leo and his foster mom as well as through the 160 pictures of the first year-plus of Leo's life, I can tell that he was so well cared for, so blessed, and so fortunate to experience so many joys of life...that deep down I know that Leo has a nurtured heart and the courage to eventually accept us as his new family. I will continue to think about and pray daily for Leo's foster mom...and hope that somehow she will know and always remember that we have opened a big, wonderful, loving door for Leo. And, that we will help Leo walk through that door and embrace what's on the other side. We will never leave his side...and we will always remind him of his family in Korea.

We've been trying to prepare Drew for Leo's crying and sadness. We've told him in simple terms that Leo will be very sad to leave Korea - the place was he was born and the place where the only family that he has ever known lives - and he will cry a lot. We asked him if he would be sad if he had to leave us (daddy & mommy) and never see us again - because that's what it will be like for Leo when we get in the taxi to go to the airport. He said, yes. Yes, he would be sad and cry. And, then we told him we just have to be patient and loving with Leo and try anything we can to let him know that we love him and will always be there for him. He seemed to understand. And later, when he called from his bedroom before falling asleep "Did I cry when I left Minneapolis?", I knew he understood. We said, "Yes, Drew, you cried when you left Minneapolis." Drew is going to be an incredible big brother. Just THE BEST.

And, so it is time to leave Korea. We have enjoyed our visit here immensely and will most definitely be leaving the door to this country wide open when we leave...wide open for our future returns! Thank you Korea for all you've given us.

Until next time...America, here come the Krekelbergs - no longer "Three & Counting" - We Are Four!

13 comments:

The Melvilles said...

You should have warned us that we would need a kleenex reading this one!

I am so overwhelmed with emotions for you guys. I wish I could put it into words. Instead I will just have to give you a great big hug when I see you!!!

It will be tough for Leo, but you all-Mom, Dad, Big Bro, will make it better, one day at a time.

BTW-Leo comes home on one of favorite days of the year-the first day of school!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I cannot get enough of your two boys playing together!!! LOVE it.

And, I also love your sentiments at the end. Oh so true, it still crushes me sometimes, but the joys will definitely outweigh the sorrows. (Just keep telling yourself that as you are sobbing alongside Leo)

Safe travels family of FOUR!

Elizabeth Frick said...

I *LOVE* every picture (and every combination) of your boys together. What a sweet family you'll (soon) be!
You've got some tough times ahead of you, but joyful ones as well. Best of luck adding to your family in just a few hours!

Brooke said...

How beautiful and heart wrenching!! Praying for a good flight home for your family!!

kelly said...

Oh Sue, this is just beautiful. You've really captured the heartbreaking loss associated with adoption. You also have me in a puddle of tears! This transition might be the toughest thing you've ever done (it was for me) and the days ahead will be very, very hard. But things do get better and as you said yourself, keep your eye on the Big Picture - that you are providing Leo with an amazing life full of family, love, and laughter.

I'll be thinking about you four on the plane ride home. Good luck!!

Christy said...

Your posts are beautiful and definitely require tissues! Thanks so much for sharing. Prayers for an uneventful trip home!

... said...

So excited for you! And what a great job you did explaining things to Drew, it sounds like he'll be an excellent big brother. Congratulations on becoming a family of four!

... said...

PS, Thanks for posting that quote, it's beautiful. I looked it up, it's a Helen Keller quote.

everythingismeowsome said...

Wow! I've been on vacation and I've missed so much! Leo is a doll and Drew will make an amazing big brother! Safe travels home!

Rebecca said...

I wish I could give you a huge hug. All the Love that Leo received his first year in Korea will be with him always. Isn't it great that as he starts the next chapter he can continue to carry that Love with him. How wonderful for his Foster Mom to know that you will continue loving him and nurturing him as he grows. I'm sure she too saw what a wonderful Mom you are to your boys and how much Damon already loves Leo. I'm sure it gives her comfort having met Leo's big brother who will protect him too. Safe travels home. We are all sending you lots of love to carry your home!!!

Unknown said...

...some words leave an imprint on ones soul, with a void of "comment" as they speak directly to your heart...You did just that here. BIG HUGS!!

Beth said...

Oh Sue! You've done such a wonderful job of capturing the emotions of this journey. I hope and pray that the transition will be as smooth as possible for everyone.

Michelle said...

Sue, my thoughts and love are with you through this next phase in your journey. It is by far the hardest, but once you get through it you will be rewarded with such a sense of joy. We are right here with you and I'm here for support if you need it. Sometimes it just helps knowing that there are others with you, going through all of the same ups and downs. The first three days were so hard, but after that things really improved!