Tuesday, November 9, 2010

art

Last Saturday we ventured to the Walker Art Center.  We'd past the museum numerous times, and the last time we did Drew said he'd really like to go there someday.  So we did...and we just happened to go on a Family Free day which, I thought would make the trip that much more enjoyable.  But, I quickly learned that an art museum is not the place for my boys (at least, not at this time).  There were many, many, cultured, polished, and arty families there...we were the bulls running through the china shop - er, art museum.

Granted, much of the noise and commotion Leo made was because he was excited and wanted to get the heck out of the carrier and explore the place like a wild little toddler.  And, while I am somewhat used to his screams and cries in my ear - I was not prepared for the echoing of squeals of delight and excitement bouncing from gallery wall to gallery wall and into my ear over and over again.  The little guy just wanted down - there was room to run and goofy "art" all over the place!

And, poor Drew...we were like a broken record telling him to stay away from the walls, do not run, and don't touch anything for we were being constantly watched by those darn straight faced workers in every room.  It was this last unheeded warning - don't touch - that finally drove us straight down the elevator and to the parking garage.  Drew found something he thought he could touch, a wooden catering table, and ran his hand on it only to get the world's absolute wost splinter (in his mind).  Didn't you hear the screams last Saturday where you live?!?  Unfortunately, we did not make a clean get-away...we took the elevator and it made an unscheduled stopped on a floor to pick up some snooty family - the dad actually said to us (as Drew is still screaming and crying) "I knew we'd be able to find you guys again"...he was not laughing when he said it either.  All I could think was  GET.US.OUT.OF.HERE!

But, before all of that..we were able to enjoy looking at 10,000 puzzle pieces, swinging in hammocks while listening to Jimmy Hendrix, details of art while looking through binoculars, green umbrellas hanging from the ceiling, and much, much more.  And, thankfully I was able to get a few pictures.

yep....there's 10,000 wooden puzzle pieces on this table
chillin' with jimmy hendrix & a slide show
swinging in the green hammock (leo had a very bad hair day, very bad)
taking a moment to say "shhhhh!" during the middle of a loud scream
lots to see up close
almost got it!
spinning art
So...while the adventure did not go AT ALL how I had hoped, I now know that there are other ways to enjoy art with my boys...like the art they create on a warm November day on the driveway with chalk.   There's plenty of time for fancy museums and their enthusiasts some other day/month/year.

Until next time...remember to see the beauty...and art... in all your days. 

6 comments:

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Uhm, it's safe to say that you are *way* braver than I am... I'm pretty sure I can't even think of trying that yet!

everythingismeowsome said...

hey at least you tried. and boo to the stuffy museum types!!!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Bummer that it didn't pan out. I gotta say, though, there's no way I'm going ANYWHERE near an art museum with my two. Esp after reading your story!
But really, some people need to lighten the heck UP! :)

Michelle said...

Sue, you are so awesome for even trying! I, on the other hand, wouldn't dream of it on my wildest days. I don't even take Maddyx to the grocery store unless I HAVE to. Oh, and the scream of excitement, we have those too! All the time. I often have to wait until after the scream is done to confirm if it is an actual joyful squeal. Sounds painful. Lol.

Kris said...

Wow, what a rude person you encountered on the elevator!! Some people are way too serious. I'm sorry your visit didn't go as planned, but at least you tried. I love how this story ended though, with the image of "the art they create on a warm November day on the driveway with chalk." Lovely.

Christy said...

I took my 3 year old to an art museum. Not fun. She was actually really well behaved for quite a while, but we were watched like hawks. I had everything under control but we were followed by the museum types sure that my daughter was going to terrorize the place! :( Looks like it went well for you 4 considering bringing two kids to an art museum, but I'm a fan of the sidewalk chalk kind right now too.