Leo's official first day at "school" went went well...for both Leo and me. Not stellar. Not horrific. But, well.
Leo cried on cue when I handed him over to the most fantastic toddler teacher I've ever met (which, of course made me cry - not the leaving him with a fantastic teacher but the leo crying part...but, again, his crying did make me feel like Leo and I have truly bonded - and that thought my friends is what got me through the day (along with the big hug and reassurance I got from Leo's teacher as I left).
I tried to stay positive on the ride into work...and it must have worked a bit. There was a voice mail message awaiting me when I got to my desk from this terrific teacher of Leo's - he had stopped crying played a bit and was now enjoying breakfast. Perfect. I could make it through the day with that image in my head.
Leo enjoyed all the activities...just had difficulty and tears with the transitions during the day, which it totally normal and expected. (And, I don't blame him - it would be really scary to be stuffed into your snowsuit by a stranger and led outside without your mom or dad around with no clue as to what was going on or where you were going.) Leo may have carried around his picture book of us all day and enjoyed being the teacher's little shadow, but he ate and he napped and he wasn't crying when I picked him up. Which means I think the day went well. So, we have another brave and courageous big boy in the house. And, we have one day under our belt with high hopes that things just get better and better each day.
[Now, I just hope that this terrific teacher drilled it into Leo's head that he's supposed to sleep through the entire night AND stay in his crib...this climbing/falling out of the crib is just not cool - too stressful for the Mama.]
But I have to say the best part of my day...aside from picking up my boys from school...was getting home to find a special little gift in the mail from my BFF (& Leo's Godmother) - a fun card of encouragement for this transition week and the most amazing and thoughtful gift. I am so incredibly blessed. Thank you Cas!!!
Until next time...I'm taking bets on when you think Leo will sleep through the night again (and crossing my fingers that it's tonight)
6 comments:
Aww, good job, Leo! You made your mama proud. I know each day will get even better!
Way to go, both of you! :)
Oh my gosh, Sue....that is a HUGE day for your little "big" boy! Sounds like he did exceptionally well. Oh man, that had to tug at your heart strings leaving him though. Even though the crying was hard, I'm so glad he responded the way he did....you know you you've done a FANTASTIC job as a Momma. For us adoptive parents, it's ALL about that attachment and bonding! I hope your week is going well!
yay! glad his first day went well! what a wonderful teacher you have!
Hooray for Leo! Hooray for you!
Oh good, I'm so glad I read these posts back to back! Leo did well! You did well! That is such a relief. The teacher sounds awesome which must make everything so much easier. So nice that she left you a reassuring message at work. It's also great that Drew is down the hall from Leo :)
(I'm so behind on blog reading...forgive me for the lateness of my comments.) YAY for making it through the first day of school. The transitions are so hard...on all of us. Leo sounds like such a trooper. What a great idea to send him with a photo book...why didn't I think of that?!
Falling out of his crib? Already? What?!
Post a Comment