Thursday, January 20, 2011

anticipation

2010 was a year of so much anticipation and joy…that I’ve had a hard time wrapping my head and hands around 2011.  I mean really, 2010 was so exciting it is hard to imagine another year as exciting.  The referral of our son…making the most of every moment as a family of three….another half marathon under my belt…a neighborhood park completed…the wait to travel to Leo…the trip of a lifetime to Seoul & Busan…the joy of bringing Leo home and enjoying life as a family of four.  What the heck could 2011 have to offer that could possibly compare?  And for that matter, will any year hereafter be as great as the year we got married or each of the years Drew and Leo were added our family?

Slowly I am figuring out that life now isn’t so much about big anticipation(s).  It’s about making the most of each and every day.  Finding the things that bring us joy and making sure we make the time to incorporate these things into our busy lives.  And, it’s also about ridding ourselves of those things that do not give us joy and that bring us unnecessary stress.

But, despite knowing this, when I switched over to the 2011 calendar (MN barns, in case you're curious), I still did so with a bit of dread.  I knew there was not a single thing planned that we could look forward to.  Nothing exciting…no big vacation…no new project or hobby…no planned date nights…not a thing except dentist and doctor appointments. [I can’t even count Drew starting kindergarten this fall…which is very likely, but not 100%…because we are still undecided if the Drew-man, with his late August birthday, should start school this year (the cut-off is September 1) Oh the pressure!]

So…I said “enough is enough” and I have spent the last two weeks taking action to fill up the calendar with things to look forward to.
  • Drew is ready to start indoor kickball next week
  • Drew will be learning about kitchen chemistry, messy mixtures, amazing seeds, and dinos at science museum classes this spring
  • Drew is registered for a summer of soccer on a real team
  • Leo, our little fish, will soon be signed up for some swimming lessons
  • We have two Children's Theatre performances to attend - Babe, the Sheep Pig & Annie
  • I will be running half marathon number three in May (& I guarantee I will once again say I am never running a race this long again)
  • Monthly Wine Club continues for me…and the Wine Club husbands have started monthly a Beer Club, oh boy
  • Damon is planning a guys weekend in Vegas for March Madness (not fair really)
  • As a family we’re looking forward to attending the Children’s Home Adoption Celebration on March 5th
  • And, most importantly, we know we’ll be filing for Leo’s adoption finalization and heading to court to have a judge declare this adoption finalized and Leo a U.S. Citizen. I cannot wait to add those events to the calendar.
Not a bad start.  And, I fully intend to keep finding things that bring us happiness and help us fill our lives with fun...and get those things on the calendar too - because life is really much more enjoyable when you have something to look forward to!!

Until next time…what are you looking forward to in 2011?

8 comments:

Christy said...

OK, we're hoping 2011 is our BIG year - referral (hopefully soon) and travel to bring home our 3rd little one. Possibly moving this year too. Lots of craziness and excitement. I completely anticipate a bit of that "let-down" feeling going to 2012. But I know the real excitement is being a family together. ;) God is good! Sounds like you do have an exciting year ahead already though! Hope to hear more as life goes on... ;)

Grace said...

i love this reflection, sue! hmm...i'm looking forward to our first full year with carson and finalizing his adoption so he is officially ours! and warm weather -- i'm seriously looking forward to warm weather!

everythingismeowsome said...

Come to KAAN in July!!! That will be something extra special for your calendar. You can meet your super tall, Southern twin!

Elizabeth Frick said...

I like your list! The science museum classes sound AWESOME. And, of course, I'm excited about your half-marathon. It's addictive, isn't it? :)
For our 2011, we're looking forward to finalizing Ingrid's adoption, and going on our first vacation as a family! (We're thinking an all-inclusive resort in Mexico). Otherwise, I'm just anticipating my girls growing up and learning and changing in wonderful ways! :)

Kala said...

I just posted on what I hope for 2011. A picture of a baby brother!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I hear ya. That's kind of how I felt about 2010. (And it really wasn't a great year for us.) I'm looking forward to hopefully selling this house and moving to our next home... as well as getting the business further along. That's it... but those are two BIG things, no?!

Kris said...

What a great reflection back on 2010. You sure had an amazing year, Sue. I know what you mean about making the most out of each day, but still wanting some things to look forward to. It's a hard balance for me at times! As for 2011...I'm looking forward to moving to the Seattle area (fingers crossed our house sells) and getting a referral for a second boy.

Janet said...

I totally know what you mean. Those BIG years are so hard to top...so hard to see past. But yet, each day/week/month manage to have some wonderful little things in it, of course. I see a few thing we'll have in common this year...and one event that we both have on our calendars -- could that be the time we FINALLY meet?? I sure hope so!