Wednesday, January 26, 2011

one

Today we celebrate our first Referral-versary. Such a silly term…but, oh, such an important day!

One year ago today, we got “the call”…and “the email”…and the first couple pictures of the sweet boy we would come to name Leo.  We got our Referral.

It was a Tuesday morning. I was home with Drew. Damon should have been in the office. I hadn’t heard the phone ring…but was hearing someone talk. It was our Social Worker…I picked up the phone and said ‘hello’…she cut to the chase and said she had a referral she’d like to present to Damon and I – she’d call back in 45 minutes.

The whole day is still so clear & vivid in my mind. I pray that it always remains this way.

219+4+142=365

219
The number of days we waited from referral date until the day we met, held, and fell even more completely head-over-heels in love with our son in Seoul

161 days of those days were spent waiting for another report and more pictures of our little dude...it was the best July 6th we’d ever had

And, during this long 219 day wait, Drew wrote 86 notes to his brother that he stuck in a red box...a nightly routine that melted my heart and showed me what brotherly love was all about

4
The number of days we spent in Seoul without Leo with us ~ soaking in his South Korean culture and wondering how he was spending his last 4 days with his wonderful foster family

142
The number of days Leo has been home with us
83 straight days with me; another 26 days of ‘school’ under his belt (he’s doing fabulous, no tears at drop off for the past 2 weeks!); lots of “Mommy & Drew & Leo Days”; precious “Family Days” (aka, the weekend & holidays); important reports and letters written and submitted; a baptism; a Petition for Adoption filed; and countless days of soaking it all in and simply making the most of every minute ~ because this is finally real - we are a family of four after trying so very long to be a family of three and then trying and waiting again to be a family of four - in the end, every single one of those moments of waiting was worth it to have the blessing of this very special and beautiful family. Today I am especially soaking it all in and realizing it was all worth the wait.

one year…
365 days…
all accounted for…


Until next time…”just” 53 days until Spring officially starts; maybe now’s the time to start embracing winter?

8 comments:

Grace said...

happy referral-aversary! such a special milestone indeed! ;) i love all your numbers! i'll have to go and calculate ours!

everythingismeowsome said...

congratulations--what a fun day to remember!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

{slowly catching up here}

I LOVE this. I mean really, really LOVE it! How wonderful the way all the numbers add up. And so very special...

Happy Referral-versary!

kelly said...

What a special day! A day none of us APs will ever, ever forget. I love this post and all the numbers, too!

Kris said...

What a great post, Sue!! I loved reading what all these numbers meant to you. And this:

one year…
365 days…
all accounted for…

gave me goosebumps. I can't believe it's been a year since your referral. Happy referral-versary!! Such a special day!

Michelle said...

Such a special day to celebrate! And I too, just love all of your numbers. Love. Love. Love!

Janet said...

Happy referral day. That is a such a special day for all of us APs. One we'll NEVER forget. I love hearing about people's referral days. Love your #s!

Pix said...

don't you love looking backwards? so satisfying and fulfilling to see where you've been. can't wait to see where you are all going too! happy referralaversary!