Thursday, April 15, 2010

cargo hold


I am definitely not surprised…but I am disappointed. Our care package for Leo is still sitting at the agency…in a large heap with a ton of other packages…waiting to get stuffed into some stranger’s luggage as they get their travel call, rush to the airport and meet their child face-to-face for the first time. Supposedly, the agency has difficultly getting people to take these care packages with them due to people being concerned about airline luggage weight restrictions. Leo’s little gallon-sized care package barely weighs anything! I really find this hard to believe…I think this excuse for our care package not being there already is pretty darn weak. Seriously, people aren’t packing with room to spare on the way to Seoul so they can bring back items they buy in Korea?! Plus, if flying on a Delta or Korea Air international flight, each passenger is allowed to check two bags, each weighing up to 50 pounds. I would think a gallon-sized care package or two or three could make it in baggage without too much trouble. [now, if we were told it wasn’t there because there have not been that many travel calls during the past few months…I would have found that reasoning much more acceptable and probably would not be as annoyed right now]

Regardless, the disposable cameras, water toys, wooden toy, picture book, and cuddly & cozy lion blanket are not currently being enjoyed by Leo (I know he personally won’t really enjoy the disposable cameras, but you get my point). The agency has set a goal to have all the care packages they currently have sent off by the end of the month. I wonder how many that is…and how they know they can get them all off to their destination without knowing how many travel calls they are going to get in the next week or two. Hmm…interesting! Anyhow, within fifteen days our package should finally be traveling half way around the world. That’s still a lot of time – wonder if I should go swap out some items or put in more recent photos of us?! Will a nine month old really want to play with a cool wooden rattle/toy thing?!

When it is our turn to travel…I whole-heartedly pledge to stuff as many care packages as humanly possible into our luggage. I might even take that second allowed piece of free luggage solely for that purpose! And, even though we are adopting through Eastern in Korea, I will offer to take packages to the other agency as well. It would be the absolute least we could do for those families waiting to be united with their child.

Until next time…I will be wishing on a star (instead of crossing my fingers) for the care package to make the trip to Seoul sooner rather than later.

2 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

I got to know a friend through the internet before we traveled. She sent her care package to me and I delivered it for her. It was so fun to be a part of that! Here's hoping Leo's gets there soon!!!

kelly said...

If we were going any time soon, I'd take your care package!