Monday, June 21, 2010

balance

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein

Over the past few weeks I have been out of whack.  Not myself.  Not the best wife.  Not the best mom.  Not the best friend.  I lost my balance.  I forgot what I was riding for.

Thankfully, I am now back on my bike and moving.  Moving in the direction of making the most of each day by sharing my hopes and fears with those that truly care; treasuring the opportunity to listen…really listen…to those sharing their hopes and fears and daily experiences with me; and taking the necessary action to keep balance and peace in my life and to support those around me.  I am balancing.  I am moving.

I am moving by slowing down – easing up on the constant “need” to be up-to-date with FB and blog news (both in what I share and what I read).

I am moving by dating my wonderful husband – getting together and going to the places we miss (be it our deck, our living room or a certain part of the city) and enjoying each other’s company.

I am moving by really engaging with Drew – playing baseball, tennis, hockey and/or soccer from sun up until the street lights come on; taking time to do things with him, even if that means things take longer and are much more messy (we won’t always have this time together); and doing the little things to make sure he knows just how much he is loved.

I am moving by running – actually running and chatting…I am so thankful for my neighbor and running partner who found me and dragged me out to the pavement (even if it was to run at 6:30 the morning after wine club!)…it’s amazing how motivating exercise and good friendships can be.

I am moving by taking control of the things I can for Leo as we wait for him – sending another small but heartfelt package to Leo by means of Kelly (a great blog friend who should be getting her Travel News any day - hooray!); taking a day off last week for a solo trip to IKEA; getting the most perfect mobile for Leo’s room; getting some very cool kid’s books about Korea; and starting to cross items off my list of gifts to buy for all those currently caring for Leo.

It feels good to move.  And, it feels even better to be moving forward.

Until next time…hope you are enjoying your own bicycle ride

5 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

It is so easy to lose your balance when you are in that waiting phase....who am I kidding though, it is easy to lose it anytime. Good for you for finding it again!

emily said...

thank you for writing this! it's exactly what i've been feeling/experiencing over the course of the past month here. it's the reason for my own blog-break. needing to take some time to LIVE it and not worry about how i was going to write/present it.

perfectly stated, sue.
wish you were a wee bit closer, for a morning run with me.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

What a wonderful post... so happy to hear you have your balance back and you are charging forward in perfect time.

Kris said...

This was written so perfectly. I've struggled to find balance since becoming a mother. I've had to slow down on blogs and fb and return to my family - which includes dating my hubby. It's crazy how we can lose our balance! I'm glad you are back on track.

Rebecca said...

I am so happy things are in balance again for you!! It is never easy when things start swirling and we lose sight of what's important. The key however is that you are able to stop and refocus -- so happy for you, Damon and Drew. Love you guys!