The lesson I learned last week is this: having high expectations is not necessarily a good thing when one does not have any control over a situation. Rarely does someone not have any control over a situation…rarely that is unless you are in the process of adopting a child.
I thought FOR SURE, WITHOUT A DOUBT that we would have gotten an update on Leo last week. It was going to be the best week…new pictures, new measurements…new milestones. I thought that there was no way that they wouldn’t/couldn’t provide an update the week after his check-up. I was wrong. Someone failed to tell me that June equals Homeland Tours for adoptees. Therefore, apparently, the staff at Eastern is much too busy with those touring their facility during this month to have the time to provide updates to those waiting ever so patiently to adopt. Maybe the Homeland Tour participants could help get these updates out the door?!?
I am starting to get antsy…go a little crazy…lose direction. It is so easy to procrastinate. The more we do for Leo…the more we think about him…the more we miss him. I need to focus…to regain some control - no matter how manufactured. But how?
Should I get another care package ready for Leo?
But, what I earth would I put in it – I haven’t gotten an update so I have no idea what size to buy – and how on earth would it ever get to him before we do.
Should I get cracking on finishing up Leo’s room?
Or, maybe that will just make me sad and inpatient because then the room will be done and we still won’t have a clue as to when Leo will be home and occupying it.
Should I be buying the gifts for the foster family & others now?
But if I shop now, I won’t have anything to do once EP goes to the ministry…and I have a feeling I will need some sort of task to keep me busy at that time.
Why don’t I have a plan for our time in Korea?
I love reading the guidebooks…but as for what exactly we will do there, I am clueless. It’s too hard not knowing when we will be there, how long we will be there and if going to Busan will be a realistic.
Despite my disappointment in not getting an update on Leo last week, there actually was some good news on the adoption front. At the Travel Orientation we estimated we were about number 30 on the list waiting to travel. It’s been four weeks since Travel Orientation, and since then 16 families with our agency have had EPs submitted to the Ministry. Last week I learned that 14 EPs for our agency were submitted during the first week of June! That definitely helps move us up the list and closer to bringing Leo home!! (though, I do realize that this batch size is no indication of future batch sizes…we could still be a long ways off from EP submission and a travel call) Things are moving over there in Korea…and I am so excited for those blog-land friends who have EP and are waiting for their travel call!!
Until next time…I’ll be trying hard to focus and keep my expectations in check, yet still hoping that a little update comes - to jumpstart my motivation and keep me going until the start of the home stretch
6 comments:
I remember that time....not knowing what to do and when. Maybe you could buy some of the gifts now and finish his room when you get your EP submitted?
Updates seem to take a few weeks to a month to arrive. So there is still hope. Don't give up. Jane is there now and will be visiting as many children as she can. If she sees him she will get pictures and sometimes video. Keep your hope alive!
I hope Jane sends some updates soon. You need an update on your little guy. We recently asked for an update and got some photos. We didn't get a written update. We were so hoping for a written update. I hope the next batch in July is big and some of Feb gets submitted.
This post brings back so many memories of our wait for X. I know what you mean when you say, the more you do for Leo the more you miss him. I hope you get an update soon. And still try to keep busy. It sounds like you have some good things to focus on - like finishing his room! Maybe we could see pictures? Hang in there.
Ugh! I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I know how it feels. You just feel like it's so out of your control - not a good feeling. I thought with the adoption process I would get more used to that feeling but I never did. It just sucks. I really hope you get that update. I agree that it takes a little while to get to you so don't lose hope. But photos definitely help brighten your outlook!
I'm hoping these feelings pass for you soon! I remember how annoyed I was continually with the lack of control... ugh. I still feel the pit in my stomach just thinking about it.
Hang in there!
Post a Comment