
My first Blogger award...and presented to me by definitely two of the finest bloggers out there. Thank you Kris for considering me a runner an bestowing this award on me. It has been so much fun getting to know you and your family through your blog and then finally getting the opportunity to meet you and Xavier over the summer. You guys rock! I am so excited to continue following all your new adventures.
And, thank you Elizabeth for the honor. I think you are oh so wise...funny...friendly....and stylish!! Plus, I just love the fact that quite often we post to our blogs at the same time - it's nice know that "you're there". :)
So, what is the Versatile Blogger Award?
Here are the guidelines:
- Thank and link back to the person who gave you the award.
- Share 7 things about yourself.
- Pass the award along to 7 other bloggers who you recently discovered and think are fabulous.
- Contact the bloggers you chose and let them know about the award
Since first receiving this award from Kris back in the beginning of the month, I have obviously had lots of time to come up with some interesting tidbits about myself. I mean really...I had hours & hours & hours on an airplane, numerous late-night "parties" in Leo's room, and endless moments quietly walking around the house with Leo on my back trying to get him to nap with nothing but time to think. Why on earth didn't I have this post typed and out there for all to read the week we got back from Korea? Truth be told...because I have been over thinking it (like i do most everything). What seven things would people find the most interesting? Can I come up with some things that even the people who know me the best might not know (or remember)? Will I have time to write it all up in one sitting? If not, should I even start a draft?
Well, since Elizabeth has also honored me with this fabulous award last Friday (with low expectations that I would follow through and complete this task due to the way time just vanishes when you add another kid to the mix) I thought I've waited long enough. But, Elizabeth is right, time is hard to find around here these days - two is much harder than one (even Drew told me so tonight when I was trying to put both to bed while Damon was playing softball - Drew also took pity on me I think, he was an angel and got ready for bed without much fuss). But, I so enjoyed learning more about Elizabeth and others who have previously won this award that it is time for me to find time and share a bit of me. So...here it goes...
- I am a born and raised Michigander (yes, one of those who shows you their palm and points to where they live)...who became a Hoosier for four glorious years while in Bloomington, IN for college (LOVE that school & campus!)...then had the chance to become a Gopher...but passed to become a Wolverine instead for two years of grad school (public health - health policy & administration)...but eventually ended up in Minnesota anyway...fell in love...and has made Minnesota her home over the last 12 years. And, for the past 12 winters (that's November to April), I wonder why the heck I don't live in southern Indiana, Michigan, or any other state with better winters than Minnesota. Maybe THIS is the year I will embrace MN Winters?!
- I think I have been basically the same height since sixth grade. I have always considered myself 5'. But, I have noticed that since moving to MN, I have seem to have shrunk...every trip to a doctors office or health fair screening seems to produce a height of 4'11.5". If I am already shrinking due to my increasing age - boy am I in trouble. I would just like to believe that all Minnesotan measuring devices are messed up. My drivers license will continue to state 5' - I round up. [the tallest i have ever been documented as being is 5'3" - in a local newspaper during high school at the beginning of volleyball season. if that had only been true. guess a 5'3" setter sounds like more of a threat?!?]
- My right leg is scarred....three times over. First on my thigh by third degree burns, thanks to a full glass pitcher of boiling water that shattered on me - ouch; the second is near my ankle and is due to some rad skateboarding moves during middle school; and the latest one is on my knee, which is thanks to some really sharp coral while surfing in Hawaii. It's a sexy leg!!
- I was Senior Class President in high school...which gave me the honor of delivering the graduation speech at Commencement. The speech was so good, I guess, that it has been plagiarized year after year (I would not be surprised it parts of it could still be heard last June). I was quite shocked to hear direct quotes from my speech the year after I graduated while attending the ceremony...and again three years after I graduated at my brother's graduation...and then years after via local access cable.
And...since we are talking about high school...I was also the Prom Queen. Due solely to a covert operation of which at the time I was completely uninvolved with and shocked...and to this day perplexed about. I guess ballots were removed from many tables and the ballot box was then stuffed with ballots marked for me. It was a landslide victory that had people saying "what the hell?!" and "stranger things have happened, I guess" all night. I should not have been Prom Queen. I should not have even been on the "Court". But, no worries - those part of this covert operation are still my friends today. We all think it's pretty darn hilarious. Though, you should know, I did go to Prom alone (my date was qualifying for the state track meet) and if my date had not arrived minutes before the Prom Court and Queen were announced and I would have been left standing there with no one to dance with...completely embarrassed...I just might not have found the whole situation quite as funny and might have a few less friends today. If I had gotten to keep the crown, I would have given it to the rightful owner....who, to this day is still probably trying to figure out what the hell happened that night. Now she might find out.
- Bad things happen when I ride Amtrak. At least the Ann Arbor to Chicago route. The last two times I traveled to/from these cities, people died. The first time it was winter and we were barely outside of Ann Arbor on the way to Chicago and the train hit a car that failed to stop before the tracks in the snow and ice...killing three of the four passengers. It was the most surreal and devastating disaster I have been a part of. The next year I bravely took the same route...made it to Chicago and breathed a sigh of relief. And...then made it more than half way back to Ann Arbor when there was a little jolt. I told my travel companion that we hit something. Sure enough...a man decided to jump in front of our train. No more Amtrak for me. [note...train travel with me aboard is safe in both europe and south korea]
- Despite having two cats, that I love dearly (as do the boys!)...I think over the course of this exercise I realized I am really a dog person. The only reason we have cats is because Damon convinced me on a trip to Amsterdam/Paris in the very beginning of our relationship that I should get a kitten (there was a lady in the row in front of us with two cute kittens - that started the whole thing). The whole trip we'd try and come up with names for a cat...maybe van Gogh, Eiffel, you get the idea. Well, on the flight back we drank a few beers. The flight attendant came by and we asked for more Heineken. She said they were out. Damon and I looked at each other and said "That's it!" The hunt was then on for "Heineken"...he was found at the Humane Society - a black kitten that fetches balls, stretches and paws at the doorknob to ask to be let out of a room, and loves playing in the water...all dog-like behaviors. And, a few years later, to keep Heineken company we got a grey cat...a lighter version of Heineken - Amstel. [cannot wait until the boys start school and get to tell everyone their cats names!!]
Over the past few years I have campaigned hard for three specific dogs from the Humane Society. First there was Stanley...a Greyhound/Black Lab mix. I loved him. Big floppy ears; long straight tail; skinny ribcage and all. I thought for sure with Damon's love for hockey, his name alone would seal the deal. No luck. (damon didn't even connect the name stanley with the stanley cup...come on!) Next there was a cute little Golden/mix puppy that adored Drew. I kept sending Damon pics from my phone until he finally left work to come check out the dog at the Humane Society with us - and end the barrage of pictures coming his way . Again, no luck. And, just this Spring, there was Rocky. The cutest, gentlest Mastiff/Lab mix puppy. Damon said we couldn't bring a horse into the house. I will keep trying...
- Finally...my favorite color is brown...so natural...so versatile.
Now the fun part...bestowing this award on seven other bloggers!
There are so many incredible blogs out there. Many of which have already won this award. But here are some that I've (recently) discovered that keep luring me back with all their versatility.
- Michelle at Seoul-2-Seoul : Michelle brought her sweet boy Maddyx home a week before we brought Leo home. Her blog is honest...and funny...and just wonderful!! (she even has a quote of the week...I love quotes!!!)
- Pixie at Cheese Curds and Kimchi: I just love this blog...a good mix of all things adoption and Korea and life. And, I absolutely love Friday Round-Up where different blogs she's read over the week are showcased.
- Amy & Jim at Wilson Baby Adventure : while we were waiting for our travel call, we met Amy, Jim and Zander at a Korean Immersion School event. They had brought Zander home at the beginning of summer and it was such a pleasure to talk with them about their trip and transition. Their blog really does highlight their adventures...which are a lot of fun!
- Kala at Together We Make A Family: there's been some construction going on over at this blog...but the new name says it all - with Matthew, they are a family. A family that I really enjoy keeping up with!
- Birdie at Birdie, Bean and Baby Jee: Birdie found my blog as we ventured over to Korea to bring Leo home...I've been checking out her blog, and I love what I see - fun and creativity. :) I really cannot wait to follow along more closely.
- Beverly at PicGal: Beverly is a dear friend and amazing photographer who has been a wonderful supporter throughout our journey. [and i CANNOT wait to post all the incredible pics she took this past weekend of All Accounted Four!!]
- Elizabeth at Romans 8:15: because, had I actually done this when first awarded - I most certainly would have presented you with this award earlier in the month. I just love your blog so much - you deserve this award twice.
Until next time...too much to write, too little time!!
12 comments:
Ah, that's so great. Thanks for the awarad. Hopefully the construction will end soon. It sounds so funny for a blog to be constructed. I love your list! I'm glad I've gotten to follow the journey!
I am so glad someone started this because I have learned so much about people because of this specific post. I am a Hoosier..well currently I am a Georgian but I was born and raised in Indiana. I love going home for the summer and going to Lake Michigan. I do (at times) miss the snow though. That is so scary about the train accidents. That's awesome that your speech has been used over and over again!! I think that is quite an honor but doesn't really say much for the person who reads it each year...slacker. My MIL told my husband for years that he was allergic to dogs. I thought for sure I'd never have another dog. Luckily we lived in an area where he felt I needed one while he was gone..turns out the MIL was wrong. He's not allergic. I hope you get to have a dog some day soon! They really are the best.
Love your list. You and I would be a sight next to each other, as I topped out at 5'10".
That Amtrak stuff is crazy! Happy to know I could travel with you by train in S. Korea and be perfectly safe, though!
I'm glad you were able to find the time--it was fun learning more about you.
Thanks for bestowing the award on me again! It's shocking enough that people READ my blog, much less enjoy it!
Oh Sue, I REALLY wished we lived closer. We'd have so much fun together. Your list is AWESOME! These are definitely fun facts about you and I loved reading each one. I want to comment on each one, but I'll refrain. Instead I'll just say, I hope you get that dog someday!
Love the list, especially the prom queen story. I too am a Michigander-turned-Minnesotan, a Wolverine, and an adoptive parent who brought a son home from Korea a couple of weeks after you. My first European vaca with my husband was an Amsterdam/Paris combo, which I thought fit together perfectly. Lastly, I love that you named your cats after my favorite 2 beers.
Aaaw, thanks Sue! Really enjoyed learning some new stuff about you. So glad we met through blog world. But so sad our trips to Seoul were just a few days off and we didn't get to meet in person. Some day. =) I'll have to think about my "seven things" for a few days before I post!
Oh, I love your list!!! So many great things... except for the train one - YIKES! But I really do hope you get that dog... dogs rule!
I loved learning more about you Sue! So many interesting things. Total freaking me out about the amtrak thing though ... yikes. The prom queen story is very funny, I enjoyed that! Oh and tell your hubby that he's crazy if he doesn't want a dog!
As one of the people involved in "Operation Prom Queen"-my official role was to stuff the ballot box after my fellow conspirators brought them to me, I even went so far as to tell the worker near the box that it was the job bestowed upon me by student council!-the reason we did it was simply that, sitting at dinner and trying to decide who to vote for as prom queen, we were all throwing out ideas and Susie stated that she'd like the job. So, we decided to make it happen. We were that fringe not quite cool kid group, and being proper children of the early nineties, totally into going against anything that was "popular". I think the gal that Sue was thinking should have been Prom Queen was Homecoming Queen and student council president, so she already her 15 minutes of fame. This is my favorite story to tell my own students and each year at prom is usually is my job to put the ballots in the box and count them.
These versatile blogger lists are so fun! I really enjoy getting to know people better!
Your train stories are so crazy and sad. Wow.
And one of my dearest friends is not quite 5 feet, but she always rounds up, too! :-)
Aw, thanks! That's so sweet of you. Love the stories...the Amtrak curse is a bit scary. And we are nearly the same size! I'm 4'11" technically, which was an improvement. I was 4'10" until I was measured for my wedding dress and learned I had grown an inch after high school. Good things come in small packages :)
Thanks so much for the blog callout!! We love reading your updates and congratulate you on your your first month home - it has flown!! We hit four months today and can hardly believe it. Happy 14 months Leo!! A, J & Zander
Post a Comment