Thursday, February 10, 2011

say what

Questions.
Inspiring ones.
Awkward ones.
Ignorant ones.
Perplexing ones.
Sweet ones.
Silly ones.

Since Leo's been home with us, we've had a lot of positive questions, comments, and support from friends, family and strangers.  Much more than I ever anticipated, honestly.  But, there have been a few instances where I've thought "Say WHAT?!?".  None of them have been over the top get-me-all-flustered-and-mad...but still, they've stayed on my mind.

Is your son Korean?
Right before Christmas, Leo and I were on a very focused mission at a local mega-craft store.  We were up and down every aisle with eyes peeled for brown twine when all of a sudden I heard “Is your son Korean?”  At first I panicked a bit thinking…”Oh, no.  Mark this date.  This is going be my first negative “conversation” with a total stranger in a public place about multicultural adoption.”  But, then, in the millisecond between that thought and me stopping the cart and saying “Yes, he is”.  I realized that if this was going to be a negative conversation, she probably would not think Leo could be Korean.  And so my defensive guard dropped a bit.  She replied…while her biological daughter stood up from looking at something on the bottom shelf…saying “How long have you been home with him? We brought our son home from Korea four years ago tomorrow.”  The next day actually marked four months home for Leo.  We chit-chatted a bit and then I said we had to go find dad and big brother at the sports store next door.  She asked if Leo’s brother was Korean too…as immaterial as that question was…I did not get offended or annoyed with it…I just answered “No, he’s biological.” And suddenly two complete strangers, in the suburbs of the Twin Cities, shared a whole bunch in common.  It was a wonderful encounter…one that gave me a glimpse into my future and somehow a lot more confidence in being an adoptive mom.  

[BTW…no brown twine at craft store.]

Cute boys.  Are they both yours? Did you adopt him?
Duh! Of course!!  Isn’t obvious that I am their mother?!
Nope, not what I said trying to get through the grocery check-out…but really, it was a strange conversation starter.  In the end, all the nice employee lady wanted to convene was that she supported adoption.  Amen.
But when you think about it...the question was just plain weird.  After I said "yes" she went on to ask if I adopted Leo.  I thought "well, yeah.  I think that is a pretty safe assumption" but later realized that I suppose I could have had Drew and then married an Asian man that already had a 16-month old and became that child's stepmother...cause that's a common occurrence.  She went on to ask a few more bizzare questions that I've erased from my mind.  I guess all I am trying to say here is that it just would have been way less awkward and much cooler if she had just asked if Leo was adopted and said her bit about how great that was...because I had no clue where she was going with the conversation and I was getting pretty nervous, hot, and sweaty in my down coat and winter hat as both Drew and Leo soaked in the conversation.

Does he have any brothers or sisters?
This question was asked by an extended family member when they first met Leo over the holidays.  We responded, “yes, Drew.” And got a “Come on! You know what I mean!!!”  We again said, “yes, Drew is Leo's brother”.  And heard “No, really. Does he?”  We said “Drew and Leo are brothers.  We have no idea if Leo’s birthparents have other kids.” I quickly learned that night that some people just may never get or understand our decision to adopt...and that is OK.

Will he talk with an accent?
Again, this question was asked by an extended family member over the holidays.  A humorous approach was taken by answering “Probably Minnesotan.”  They didn’t think that was funny.  We still think it was a hilarious response.  And, I am extremely proud of Damon’s quick thinking on that one.

What’s the Korean name? But, that’s a boy’s name!
Over Leo’s baptism weekend we took Leo’s Godparents out to our local Korean restaurant.  Our waitress was smitten with Leo playing games with him, singing to him in Korean and eventually asking how old and the Korean Name.  When we told her, she said (with much surprise) "that’s a boy’s name!!"  We were all perplexed – the clothes were definitely not girly in color or style.  Maybe his hair?!  No clue.  Does Leo really look like a girl?!? Well, he must a little, because last week a nice older gentleman at the pizza place asked Damon is Leo was a girl or a boy.  Though…thinking more about that one…maybe the gentleman was just perplexed because the stereotype is that white people adopt Asian girls, right? So maybe he thought Leo really looked like a boy…but assumed he should be a girl cause that’s what people adopt…and had the courage to ask and satisfy his curiosity.  Who knows.  I am just glad it was a positive experience.  And…maybe it really is time for Leo to get another haircut.

I wish we had adopted an English kid.
Even though Drew hears Leo speak English and we have told him many times before that just because Leo is from Korea does not mean he will speak Korean automatically; that he will speak English just like we do, the other day he proclaimed his desire to have adopted a kid from England so he’d speak English.  I told him if we had done that, Leo wouldn’t be his brother.  He replied with “I’m glad we adopted from Korea then”.  Sweet...progress.

When Leo’s older, can we hang out?
"You bet Drew! You and Leo are brothers – and hopefully friends – forever!" (but, I should have added “if I were you, I’d stop tackling and hitting and taking toys away from Leo so he wants to hang out with you!”)

My wife is going to have two babies in her belly and we will adopt two babies.  Four kids.  Two girls.  And two boys.  And, I am going to tell her that when I meet her.
Good to know, Drew.  Good to know.  [And it makes me feel good and proud to know that…so far…our decision to adopt is having enough of a positive impact on Drew’s life that it’s perfectly normal and a perfectly desirable to him to want a family that embraces adoption like we have.]

Things people say…good, bad, and indifferent…often have a lasting impact.  I know that the day will come when the comment or question about Leo or our family will not be so complimentary.  I used to worry and play out scenarios of how I will respond to ignorant and/or insensitive comments and questions.  Not anymore.  I know that my response will depend on a million different things – my mood that day, who makes the comment, when and where the comment is made – and as time goes by and as we bond more and more with our amazing son, I know that I am gaining a tremendous amount of confidence to be able to handle whatever situation comes our way.  Plus, I have an amazing network of friends that will be there for us when that day comes.  No worries.

Until next time…what would you like my next post (#100) post to be about?!

9 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

My least favorite question is: did you adopt HIM?? while pointedly referring to Matthew. Then they ask if Isaac was adopted. I don't like it because it makes me differentiate between my kids. I know most people ask because they somehow want to affirm with me that they support our decision and I know that they are not trying to be hurtful. We just ordered a book called the W.I.S.E Up Powerbook for kids about kindergarten-elementary age for how THEY can respond when others ask them questions. It teaches choices like walk away, educate them, etc. It is over Matthew's head right now, but I think it will be valuable for him (and Isaac) in the future.

Christy said...

Congrats on upcoming 100th post - somehow I missed mine. ;) Oh well.

LOVE the Minnesotan accent comment! Perfect! When someone asks if our child will use a fork (people have mentioned this question before) I might say "Probably not, Ben still doesn't unless we make him!"

Glad so far it's only been awkward and not negative yet. Glad you met a great Mom to bond with at the craft store! Good things! Thanks for sharing!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh boy. I think you've read about some of my less-than-perfect conversations... so I can relate. But I've never shut down a conversation because more often than not, it's a good one. The first few minutes are always touch and go though. Sigh.

And the accent?! Yeah, my kid has a full-fledged Boston accent. (Which drives me absolutely batty by the way.) The looks people get though is priceless. Although some people have pushed it too far as well. That's a post for another day!

Grace said...

oh goodness...isn't amazing how some people think it's absolutely okay to ask such silly questions? but good for you for responding appropriately and with humor. the accent question cracked e up!

kelly said...

Oh boy, I guess there will always be those kinds of comments/questions in our future. Strangely, we really haven't gotten any in the almost 8 months we've been home. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I'd almost rather have some of them now so I can get it out of the way and start perfecting my responses. Mostly I worry about Max getting weird/awkward questions when he gets older and how we will prepare him for all that. I'm hoping that living in Seattle will help a bit since it seems that so many families around here have adopted internationally that it just seems pretty normal. But we'll see. I think you handled everything perfectly. I especially love the questions/comments from Drew :) I would imagine the questions from family members are tough - grrrrr. My grandmother (who is 95) did ask us a few times when we were waiting for Max to come home - "how is your Korean baby?" To which I would respond, "you mean my baby?" But she's been totally supportive and loves Max so much (her first great grandchild!) that I just write that off as her being 95 :)

Michelle said...

Love this post, Sue. So honest, so true. I totally remember the anxiety I felt for the first few months....anticipating the awkward questions, that would then create the awkward moment. But most of the questions we've received are very similar to yours. Always good intent behind a STUPID (sorry) question. That said, I have to be somewhat understanding, as I think your awareness of how and what is appropriate to ask only comes if/when you actually adopt. You know? The stares do start getting annoying though. Sometimes I just want to look at them and say, "Yes, he's adopted, now can you stop staring at us!"....lol.

Oh, and I'll share the worst comment I received (from a mutual contact in my work world)...he said to me "Someday I'd really love to have kids. And if I can't have a real one, I may adopt." Seriously? I looked at him (in front of everyone) and said, "for the record, my son is real." Yea, he felt pretty small at that moment! :)

Unknown said...

It all goes back to that that quote, "Even children form the same mother look different." I'll never forget standing outside of UHG waiting for Ashish when a man stopped to compliment Nishad's big eyes...and then he looked at me and asked me if I was the nanny. I took Nishad to dance class with me a month ago, when we walked in a lady said (LOUDLY), "He's SO cute-- IS HE MIXED?" Talk about sweating...and I had no down coat on. Best line...hands down..."Minnesotan accent." XO

Janet said...

I always like reading about how other people handle these types of situations. I, like you, start to get a little nervous at first...as I attempt to figure out if the person has an agenda behind their question.

Here are a couple I remember:
1."Where is he from?" (Yep, just that direct.) I said he was American. "Noooo, but where did he come from?" Don't ask me why, but I kept going by saying he was born in Korea. "Really? Korean? I would have NEVER guessed Korean. I mean his eyes...they don't look Korean." Ummm...what? Was this person an expert on what Korean eyes are supposed to look like...and like they are supposed ALL be the same? Whatever. Turns out, this man had two daughters adopted from India. I'm not sure how that made him an "expert" on Korea...but whatever.
2. "Is he mixed...you know...mixed race?" This one stunned me more...since it was SO direct. I just said no. I then ended up having to explain more because this was a medical assistant at the doctor's office, so I had to explain our son was adopted, etc... Turns out this medical assistant has children who are mixed race (not Asian)...so I guess he felt free to ask.

I'm sure I'm just more sensitive to thsee types of questions...maybe we all are. I just worry more about how my son will feel about this when he gets older...and the questions continue.

Janet said...

P.S. I cracked up at the accent question. Really? People...seriously! Do they know nothing about how kids learn to talk & language development? Wow. I loved the "Minnesotan" response. Perfect!